Tuesday, June 19, 2007

My Daddy(s)


Father's Day has come and gone, but it is never too late to appreciate the wonderful men in my life. I'm not always good about organizing special plans or gifts for holidays. Months in advance, I have the best intentions to find the perfect present or surprise the people I love with some memorable celebration, but procrastination usually gets the better of me. I manage to get my cards out in the nick of time, but I really meant to do so much more. This past weekend was a particular challenge, as Father's Day also marked my Dad's 60th birthday - a major and important milestone. My mother was at work planning an intimate party, one that a whole continent kept me from attending. I'm the missing daughter. The one who lives far away on the opposite coast. I talk frequently with my parents, but it will never be a substitute for seeing each other in the flesh, especially when the grandparents crave the presence of their only grandchild. Ever since Stella was born, my Father and I seem to talk to one another more often, and I really appreciate his impromptu calls to see how Stellita is doing, make movie and book suggestions, and let me know how his art classes are going. I wish our connections didn't have to be brief calls over a cellphone, and that instead we could share a meal with both conversation and comfortable silence. I might be wrong, but I think that becoming a Mother was my most joyous achievement in the eyes of my Father. He becomes all soft and wistful when he watches Stella, emotionally expressing how perfect she is. Becoming a parent marked the beginning of all cliches, as I truly began to understand how much my own Father and Mother had done for me, and how much they love me. Apparently, I wasn't a very affectionate little girl, preferring my own physical independence to my Dad's warm embrace. He wanted to cuddle and be adoring, and I pushed him away with shouts of 'no' in an earnest desire to run and explore. Dear Dad, I may be a grown woman now, but I would be happy to hug and rest my head on your shoulder whenever you want. Love, Sarah.




Daniel, you are my partner in life, my best friend, my husband, and the Father of our baby. I knew you were the man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with for all the ways in which you (and nobody else) can make me laugh, for your strong character and tender kindness, and your faith and commitment to marriage, as defined by us. I always knew, from our early days as friends, that you would be a great Father - a great family man. You have proven my intuition a hundred fold since Stella's birth, and even before that with my whining pregnancy. You are my very equal partner with raising Stella, and I don't think I could do this without you. I rely on you so very much to get me through the difficult and stressful times, when my patience has worn much too thin, and I lack both the energy and clear-headedness to be an adult with a toddler. You are my rock, and my water, steady and stable, yet going with the flow. I don't need to tell you this, but Stella adores you. You bring out her guffaws (as you do mine), and you are clearly her first choice when she wants to play. I know that I push bath time off on you, but it really is because you do it better. I'll sit in the living room, listening to you laugh and splash, and know how much this time with you pleases her. She loves your voices and playing pretend, and is destined to have a goofy side with lots of making faces, thanks to you.


When you get nostalgic, you share stories from your own childhood about how your Father used to play jokes on you and your brother, always making you laugh and keeping you on your toes. I can't possibly not mention your Dad, now MY Dad too, in a tribute to Fathers. It is thanks to his strong morals and dedication to family that I have ended up with his more than perfect son. I am truly blessed and grateful for the wonderful men in my life, the great Fathers and the wonderful grandfathers, that fill my life with meaning and happiness. With all my love and appreciation, I thank you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Reinmorgen said...

How wonderful! I sooo don't remember Pablo being pushed away by you. You were always laughing at his teasing you. He'd play the coolest music and we'd dance in your living room. He would let you run into his studio and "help" you get into things to create away! I remember when you won the second grade art contest and went to the Bonaventure downtown. The gleam in Pablo's eyes. He always attended your school functions and was undeniably proud. No Sarah, I remember a remarkable bond of father and daughter!

Rein

10:28 AM  
Blogger Swankyloma said...

Beautifully put!

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home